Happy Birthday to the Big Kart Track!!
01 Apr 2013
On Thursday, March 28th, 2013 the Big Kart Track turned 30.
We at Sunshine Coast Brochure Display are proud of our 23 year relationship with this amazing Sunshine Coast business and wish them continuing success!
The Big Kart Track resulted from the vision of Aime and Jacqueline Proost who settled on the Sunshine Coast after arriving from Belgium in 1981. After extensive research the business opened on 28.03.1983 with 25 karts. Today they have 80 karts with 50 allowed on the track at the one time.
At the time of opening the 1.2km track was the longest in Australia. Fast forward 30 years and it is still the largest commercial go-kart track in Australia.
Aime credits son-in-law Ferre De Deyne with taking the Big Kart Track to where it is today. His commitment to innovation, improvement and great customer service has seen the business flourish through the ups and the downs of the tourism industry
Some Big Kart Track facts
· the Big Kart Track was conceived in the Currimundi Hotel when Aime met the president of the National Go Kart Association
· the track is modelled on Italy's' Jesolo track near Venice. This remains one of the worlds' most popular tracks
· maximum speed of karts is 70km / hour
· for drivers prepared to get dirty, the Big Kart Track can be a lot of fun in the rain!
· there is a junior track for drivers under 12 years of age
· the Proost / De Deyne family established the Ski Park at Bli Bli in 1990. This is now known as Gowake Cable Park
· in 2012 the Big Kart Track was inducted into the Hall Of Fame at the Sunshine Coast Multicultural Awards
· the Proost and De Deyne families are passionate supporters of the arts and were instrumental in establishing the prestigious Sunshine Coast Art Prize. They are also major sponsors of the Sunshine Coast University Gallery
The Big Kart Track is open from 9.00am - 5.00pm from Sunday to Thursday. Opening hours on Friday and Saturday are 9.00am - 10pm.
Check the website for more tack details. www.bigkart.com.au